January has been warmer than typical and very, very rainy. (Thank goodness for the warm temperatures or we would be buried with snow!) As a result, there is a lot of flooding and ponding in the fields, on the roads, and the Wabash, Tippecanoe, and Wildcat are all well up and over their banks.
The north pasture up by the old barn and farmhouse is no exception.
The herd was about as far away from me as they could get, with a long expanse of water that stretched across most of the pasture between us.
Abby spotted me even before I called or whistled, and began coming up to chat. (The other horses? They know I won't give them nibbles, and with all that water in the way, they were not going to come up just for a rub or scratch.)
Here is where I began laughing. Abby walked up to the water and took a good long look at it.
Then she looked across it at me.
She looked to the left - I could just see her thinking about what to do to get to me and her treats!She looked at me, the water, and then back at me several times more. I was beginning to wonder if she was going to wade through it or jump when..
... suddenly she decisively turned to her right and began walking alongside the water.
Reaching the end of the water, Abby, skirted the edge...
... and was home free! She'd figured out how to get to me without getting her feet wet!Er, even though they pretty much so were already - and very muddy. (But in good shape, thanks to a recent trim from Tim!)
We had a lovely visit under the pines in the first sunshine our part of Indiana has had in WEEKS.
And when I left, as usual, Abby watched me until I was out of sight.I am still smiling, though, as I think about her trying to decide how to get to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment