Thursday, May 20, 2021

A Spectacular Find

Yesterday I had an appointment in Indianapolis, and when I finished, I stopped at an antique shop to poke around, just for fun. I wasn't really expecting to find much if anything. And then...

I came around a corner and stopped dead in my tracks, letting out an audible gasp at what was on display in a vendor's case. Oh, my gosh! Oh, my gosh! OH! MY! GOSH!


A Hagen Renaker Large Honora along with a Miss Pepper!  Right in front of my eyes! I leaned in closer to check the other four pieces - all were Lefton copies. Nice, but not Hagen Renaker Designer Workshop pieces like the other two. Even better, all items in the booth were on sale for 20% off! 

I snapped those two Hagen Renakers up and had them in the car as soon as I could pay for them. I felt shaky as I drove home, marveling at my unbelievable luck in finding such nice pieces.


The Honora is a Monrovia era piece and was made 1958 - 1961. 


She has the gold and black football shaped name sticker that was used about 1959 - 1963.


Her eyes are beautifully colored with white, brown, and black, and I especially like the soft mint color in her braids.

Such a beautiful, beautiful piece. No chips, breaks, or flakes on her.

I have been scouring antique shops, thrift stores, and flea markets for decades and I've found a lot of things, some of which have been good, while a few have been really good. But only two other finds in all that time have been spectacular like this one.

I'll write about the Miss Pepper and a couple of other things that accompanied Honora home with me next. (And yes, there are still some Circus Time series posts to come, too!)





3 comments:

  1. What beautiful pieces. Congratulations on such an amazing find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that happened to me, I'm afraid I'd be using stronger language than Oh My Gosh. :) Congratulations. It's wonderful to know this sort of thing can still happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have snagged the rearing Lefton, too. And maybe a dog glass! Remember that booth for your next visit!

    ReplyDelete