Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Social Media, Mourning, and Models

Social media facilitates one of the best things about having been a teacher - it enables former students to stay in touch. If they ask to follow or friend me, my answer is always YES! 


Sometimes you cry with joy at what is happening in their lives. (M invited me to his wedding this spring, but I'd just had my spine fused and couldn't travel to Atlanta at that time. He and his bride look so happy in this photo!)

Other times? Your tears are those of mourning. 

I went to the visitation for the brother of a former student yesterday. (This photo from the cemetery was taken by her mother.) It was a tragic and unexpected death, and the family was absolutely devastated. 

I decided I would bring a little gift for S when I went to the visitation. It needed to be something small so she could put it in her purse, but also something personal that sent the message that I cared for her and grieved with her.

My student was a horsey girl, and had even come to my house once to look at my collection, so I tucked a Stablemate mare and foal into this haversack and put it in my purse.

When it was my turn to offer condolences to the family, I spoke with S's mom a few moments and then turned to S and handed the haversack to her. I gave her a big hug, murmured that I was so sorry about her brother, and explained that I hoped the gift would let her know how much I cared. She smiled through her tears and nodded, hugging me back.

Like all of us, my former students go through their share of good times, hard times, and loss, and social media helps keep me apprised so I can reach out. I am so glad that I was able to be there for a kiddo who just lost her brother.

And hopefully those Stablemates will always remind S that I cared.





1 comment:

  1. Your sense of family is so strong. Most anyone would be proud and pleased to know you... I certainly am!

    ReplyDelete