I have a most unusual Cooper.
It all started when I was looking for bits of masking that might be left on him post-production. He felt rough all over, not only around the edges of his spots, but actually ON some of the spots as well as in the white areas of his coat. (Cooper is a chalky, so some of that is to be expected.)
I began to look much more closely at him and the more I looked, the more surprises I discovered. This poor guy just couldn't get a break!
Look at the spot in the center - you can see the outline of what it was supposed to look like, but you can also see that it has been hand painted over in a thick black paint.
The flashlight on my phone showed that this poor guy had a lot of painting errors that someone tried to fix.
From his ears, down his neck to his shoulder, and then behind his off front leg, someone had "fixed" something by painting over it. (Maybe some more messed up spots?)
There are bright white spots on both sides of his body although they are barely visible without the flashlight.
The off hind leg has two of the overpainted, rough white areas.
The near side hip, flank, and back.
The near side head and neck - the black paint under the eyes is crinkly and shows evidence of having been roughly painted over. You can see that at the base of his ear as well as more of the white paint blotches.
The off side of the head.
Near side throat latch, neck, and shoulders.
Off hind leg hock.
Off hind fetlock/pastern area. The paint is crinkled similarly to the crinkly black paint under his near eye.
Just when I thought I was done examining him, I noticed one more surprise.
He's got a USA stamp - something that none of my other Vintage Club pieces have.
Is that a nod to the chalky era and deliberately included as part of the replication of the 1980s Brenda Breyer set? Or was Cooper actually made here in the United States? The VIN number under his hoof did not help answer that question.
Last night I had a "teacher dream"and I was using some Wite-Out to fix a mistake on something. In my dream I suddenly thought, "Wite-Out would be a great name for my Cooper - those spots and splotches look just like the Wite-Out on my paper!"
Wite-Out it is.
I am interested in insights any of you might have. Email me at horsiemama8@gmail.com if you do or if you have heard of any similar "Wite-Out" Coopers.
And for the record, I really like my quirky guy.
Yikes! You have a good attitude about it. I'd probably ask for a refund!
ReplyDeleteI thought about it but I have no plans to show him. And those quirks kinda grew on me to the extent that now they seem to enhance his character! I really do like him, flaws and all.
ReplyDeleteYou are a kind person and a benefactor of all things plastic and equine!
ReplyDeleteI agree Gretchen. I would totally be getting a refund!
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen such corrections since the gold dapple Iron Metal Chief. Wite-Out is the BEST name! It really seems that Breyer's painting team needs some serious practice.
ReplyDeleteWhat was the story behind the keyboard smash post yesterday? lol.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you're on the CC forums at all, but nearly everyone there is reporting IDENTICAL problems to yours with their Coopers. It's a sad sad world when the VC releases are that trashy. :/
ReplyDelete