Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Happy Anniversary, Abby!

 Abby and I celebrate our tenth anniversary of being together today. It is hard to believe that so much time has passed and I thought a look back would be fun.

 I had just started the Horsiemama blog (a spin-off from my other blog, Teachinmama) and one of my first blog entries was about unexpectedly coming across her when I was helping Leslie find a horse for herself.


The first picture I ever took of Abby. 

As I began seriously considering bringing her home, we had  the first of many pied piper moments when I went back down to see her a few weeks later. That trait of hers is what won my heart and I have loved her ever since.


Two horses that were rescued along with Abby  did not survive. Go here to read the news article about their rescue. (That is not Abby in the photo but it is a horse that was with her.)

Abby was lucky - she was a child's 4-H horse and so she was getting grain from someone


but her hooves were terribly neglected and and had curled up into her pastern on her near front hoof.


The rescue folks trimmed it off, but her leg was painful as the muscles and tendons adjusted. The news story showed her hoof (close-up above) and then after the trimming (screenshot above). You can see that she is standing and pointing her leg, a sure sign of pain. Abby limped for a year and a half and still occasionally favors that foot.


April 27, 2012 Abby came home with me and joined Tim's herd where she has been ever since.


We've been together through good times and hard times - this is me just before my first spinal fusion when I could hardly stand for even a minute or two. I'd pop my camp chair in the paddock, bring her into it, and we'd visit.


Horse crazy former students have come out and she has been the perfect sweetheart with them. (Despite that long drool; it was red clover season.)


She's taught the Pony Pals and Cowpokes just how good it is to be around a horse. (That's Corinne with her; Cory was born the same day I got Abby, so Happy Tenth Birthday, Cory!)


When I had a baseball-sized mass and half of my pancreas removed along with my spleen, Abby was a big help in my long and difficult recovery. Craig would drive me out to the barn so I could visit her and that always lifted my spirits.


Such a sweet mare and friend.


Happy Tenth Anniversary, Abby. Life is better with you around.







4 comments:

  1. Aww. What a sweet post. Happy anniversary Abby and Lynn! And happy 10th birthday Cory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Happy anniversary to you and your best girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story told via photos. Congrats on ten great years!

    --Bassgirl

    ReplyDelete