Monday, June 26, 2023

Fleabane - Summer Delight/Bane of Fall

The weather here in Indiana has been sunny, hot, and dry. This is going to affect the hay supply for the coming winter, and Tim is already working on ensuring that we have enough for the herd when the snow begins to fly.


Despite the weather conditions, my favorite summer wildflower, fleabane, is in full bloom and gorgeous.


I love how it lines both sides of the fencerows - it never fails to make me smile.


A palomino parade! Can you tell who is mama and who is baby?

Those pretty little flowers, such a welcome sight now, will not be so welcome in autumn.


The flowers turn brown and become burrs that get tangled in the horses' manes and tails. (Well, not Abby's so much!)


While I am sad that someone (I think it is Hokey) chews Abby's mane off, I am glad I don't have to spend time detangling her mane.

Tomorrow - a distinctive trait of Abby's. Stay 'tooned!



2 comments:

  1. What a bright spot to have all the horses come to visit you!!
    And boy, do Two Socks and Sultana look similar! It was difficult to tell but I * think * Two Socks is in front.

    ReplyDelete