Saturday, May 11, 2024

New Ponies & the May Give Away

A live show is almost always an opportunity to find new models to add to your collection. And not only models, but tack, props, dolls, ephemera, stickers, and more. For me, part of the fun of any hobby gathering is the buying and swapping that goes on!

I swapped three Traditional haversacks for this vintage Man O'War at Midwest Mini Mayhem.


It was the ephemera (the box) that first caught my eye. It was in great shape.


The model inside was a surprise, though. It had a very light colored, almost orangey, coloring unlike any Man O'War I'd ever seen.
 

Steff Bodamer was selling him, and she agreed - she'd never seen one that light and oddly colored.


The plastic looks as though it got a little hot at one point in time or another and is wrinkly, but I don't mind - so am I! LOL


Steff traded this guy and his box to me for three Traditional haversacks. Which made us both happy!


Here he is (left) with my carpet herd Man O'War from the late 1960s.


Identify Your Breyer shows this color variation here.


I've put him back in his box for the time being - I need to rearrange the shelves a bit to fit him in with my other Man O'Wars.


I also added this beautiful Hartland ebony woodcut Tennessee Walker to my collection at the show.


He still has the felt pads on the bottom of his hooves and is beautiful.


I already have this piece (mine is on the right)

 
but mine has the milky glaze that models sometimes get. (Breyer woodgrains often get a milky finish as they age.) 

 
The new one is a nicer piece than the one I already had, but I'm keeping them both.


And now for the May Give Away! 


A Walking Black Angus with full rough coat!


I found this guy at an antique shop in 2015 and rescued him to get him into the hands of a collector. He's got some marks on him, but still he is a nice piece.


The bottom of his hooves show grey plastic, but white plastic shows under a rub. (See picture.)

If you'd like to have him, simply add a comment to any blog entry posted starting right now with this one until Tuesday, May 14, 11:59 PM Eastern time. Easy peasy!

Winners will be announced Wednesday or Thursday after entries close.

Good luck!


5 comments:

  1. What a bunch of awesome horses! I love seeing the variations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on two lovely variants! I say variantS because the coloring on your Hartland woodcut is intentional. Hartland-made woodcuts had 'stain' rubbed onto them to make them look more wood-like (as you can see the plain plastic is very shiny) but the amount varies greatly from just about nothing to highly visible. Only the ebony had the pale stain, the walnut & cherry had brown. Later Durant-made walnut WCs from the '70s did not have any stain & can be quite shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love live shows for trading or buying new herd members too. You picked up some nice ones! Love the bull too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the Tennessee Walker in brown, and I vaguely remember a light milky wash to him. I say “had” because I have no idea whatever happened to him!

    Thanks for the giveaway! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete