Thursday, April 23, 2026

The Things Happening Around Here

Things are always happening here and I am busy throughout the day. But, that doesn't mean I can write about what I've been doing. As a result, sometimes I struggle to find a topic for the day's blog post. (I do write posts ahead of time, but currently I have no drafts in the hopper.)

Here's what's going on.

The Sorry, I Can't Tell You Project

Unfortunately, the one that I'd really like to write about (and will take several blog posts to do so), is something I am not yet at liberty to share. It has consumed a lot of time, time that I might use for doing other projects and activities which would then lead to blog posts instead of me wondering, what on earth can I write about today??


But as soon as I get the green light, I will tell you about that project - I have been working on it for a couple of weeks now and am nearly finished. And I have taken a lot of photos to share, too. Stay 'tooned!

Should I? Or Shouldn't I?

Actually, I am  in the stage of Haven't Yet. Which doesn't mean I am not going to buy that Janome sewing machine with the historical pictures and horse on it.


I did some looking yesterday and found it at the shop where I got my embroidery machine. They are selling it for $20 cheaper than Amazon and are also including free shipping. 

I put the machine in my cart and started checking out.

But then I started wondering what else I could do with that money. It's a lot to spend on something that I don't need. Is there something else, something better, I could do with it? Maybe even donate it to a local cause that I feel makes a difference? 

I am still thinking, but I am starting to feel that this splurge is not the right thing for me to do. Stay 'tooned. 

Nash's Recovery

The Big Boi is still grieving, but he is acting more and more like himself.

He comes over every day right now and is watching over our world from the top of the stairs again. Yesterday I heard him howling from Craig's office. I stopped to listen and could hear sirens outside somewhere. Almost always, Nash joins in if he hears sirens. 

It was good to hear that howl. I've missed it.

A Home for Kathy's Tack

I am delighted to say that I have found a home for Kathy's tack, a place that will value it and preserve it. After all, it is a microcosm of 1990s tack and prop making.


It's going to Ardith and Corky's Model Horse Museum that they are setting up in Wisconsin. I've known them since the early hobby days and I have no doubts that they will do an excellent job of caring for it. 

Another Surprise Happening in the Sewing Room

I got started on a second sewing project. It's a surprise, but one I can talk about here. I am making the JCs^2 a quiet book.

I have made 21 of them (all six kids and fifteen grands) so this will be #22. They are a lot of work (72 hours in at least in one of them) and require lots of planning and sewing hundreds of tiny pieces together. I would not be surprised if someone making a quiet book coined the phrase, "labor of love." Because they truly are.

I'm two days into the planning stage with a 4th of July deadline. Yesterday I sorted appliqués, began choosing fabrics, and cutting out pieces. I ironed heat-activated interfacing to some of those. 


I got on Etsy and found more appliqués to use, checked my ribbon stash, bought some pony beads, and went through my stash of remnants from the Prom and bridesmaid dresses that I'd made my girls.

It was a busy day, but I am pretty much organized and ready to begin assembling some of the pages. My sewing room is an absolute MESS and I need to get it cleaned up before Friday because on Friday I have to put the finishing touches on the Sorry, I Can't Tell You project.

Then, in the middle of yesterday's chaos in the sewing room, Leslie texted me. She had received a new order of block print fabrics and had a request.

"Look at this gorgeous new block print! If I comp it to you, will you make a bed gown to help advertise it? You can keep the profits."


Oh, my. The fabric is beautiful, but I have two chemises and a cloak already cut out and ready for when I finish the Sorry, I Can't Tell You project and the quiet book. Oh, and did I mention that I told Sarah I would make her a tee shirt quilt for Christmas after I finish those?

Taking a few deep breaths before replying, I remembered that I was sewing for fun and to not let sewing  become something pressure filled. Leslie doesn't need that shirt completed until October, so I have plenty of time of time to finish my other sewing projects and do that for her, too.

I agreed and added it to my list of sewing projects to complete.

On the Docket for Today

Yet another busy day again. Nash is coming over. I'll be sewing this morning and then heading to the hospital for a bilateral spinal injection that will alleviate a lot of the back pain I have. (The procedure lasts less than five minutes, there is minimal pain or discomfort during it, and I can drive myself home and will be feeling less back pain almost immediately.) 

For sure, there are lots of things happening around here!

Stay 'tooned!

 

3 comments:

  1. HMM. Wonder if the Secret Project has something to do with a certain Global Model Horse Collector Event happening in July????!
    I am glad you get such benefit from your spinal injections so you will be feeling up to all the stuff on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Leslie’s new print!

    I’m still adjusting to retirement, but your daily schedule makes me dizzy! I need to take some inspiration from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you get comfort from that spinal treatment. You'll need all the help you can get to tackle your busy schedule. Looking forward to hearing about the secret project. Glad Nash is feeling better. I wonder if Lisa will get him a room mate this summer after school is out.

    ReplyDelete