Saturday, October 28, 2017

Donkeys in an Unexpected Place

You just never know where you are going to find a member of the equine family. Craig and I are in Lynchburg, Virginia for my Fall Break visiting our daughter, Jessica, and her family. This morning we went on a trip to an apple orchard and there I got a surprise.

My family wanted to wander down the mountain and out into the pumpkin field, more than I am physically able to do, so I hung out near the goats, sitting on a park bench and enjoying the fresh air.
Suddenly, this little jenny ambled up - she'd been hidden in some brush down the hill.
 As you might guess, I perked up, stood up, and went over to say "hello." She was so sweet and very, very gentle.
 She enjoyed the attention, especially when I scratched her ears.

 Then, another surprise. This little guy came up to visit as well.
I hadn't seen him in that mountain pasture, either. (He reminds me very much of Hagen-Renaker's china donkey foal, Harry.)
About this time, Cambria came back with Craig, and, just like her Grammy, she made a beeline to see the donkeys.
 She gave the male soft rubs on his side...
 ... and rubbed his fuzzy ears. (Like the jenny, he really enjoyed that!)
I shared with her the legend of the donkey -  that the reason they have a cross-shaped mark on their withers and back is because a donkey carried Mary and Baby Jesus, and so Heavenly Father honored all donkeys in remembrance. (Another legend is that, if you are in the barn at midnight on Christmas Eve, the donkeys will kneel to honor the Christ Child. Lovely stories!)
 We spent about an hour at the orchard, and while the apples and cider were delicious, the best part (for me, anyway) was visiting with the donkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment