Sunday, August 19, 2012

School Has Started..

... and my barn time is really being squeezed!

School began for the kiddos on Tuesday, but teachers (i.e. moi) started Monday. And Monday was a twelve hour day for me since I had to stay for the open house in the evening. Needless to say, I did not make it to the barn that night.

Then we had some heavy rains Thursday evening - a blessing since we've been undergoing a drought, but it sure made for muddy pastures. Abby was waaaaaaay back in the west pasture when I got to the barn, it was pouring rain, and my barn shoes were still in the garage at home. No carrots for her that night!

The next day was Friday, and I took a personal day to go to Chicago with Craig to attend a wedding at the temple. Because of the travel time to and from the temple, it made for a long day. I was tired when we got home, plus I was not feeling well - Chicago traffic REALLY stresses me. Sometimes I get migraines, sometimes I get gastric issues, and sometimes I get both.

So, when I got home, I lay down on the bed "just for a moment." And fell asleep. When I woke up, I was in a bit of a panic - I'd offered to help decorate the church for the reception plus I needed to check the horses and fill the water trough. I shot off a text, asking if I was still needed to decorate even as late as it was, and then jumped in the car and zipped out to the barn.

I think Abby missed me. I didn't even have to call her. She was in the far west pasture again, but she saw my arrival and came charging up to the gate. I was actually in the pasture, preparing to hike down to her, when I saw her coming up through the pastures.

(She has such beautiful gaits! Her trot was floaty and she was a lovely sight as she came trotting up to where I was in the south pasture.)

I have never actually been in the pasture when she has come up at any gait other than a walk. I did not think she would run me over, but I admit I thought, "She's a rescue. I have no idea about her history and how she has been treated. It's possible she might not stop, expecting me to move out of her way instead."

But I really did not think she would hurt me. She can be sassy, but she has never been mean. Quite the opposite in fact. So, I stood my ground and as she got really close, I help my hand out in a stopping motion and quietly but firmly said, "Whoa."

She stopped. And then she walked over, greeted me, and had her carrots and a good rub. (She was a bit of a mud pie!)

I hope to settle into my fall schedule soon so Abby can have her regularly scheduled carrots!


No comments:

Post a Comment