I found it at a junk shop in tiny Gilman, Illinois back in the early 1990s. It was missing a few rhinestones and the pin was broken, so I sent it to an acquaintance, Nan Wagner, and had her repair it. I wear it often and it makes me smile every time.
I've never seen another one like it until yesterday. I was doing a search for "circus pony" looking for something else, when to my surprise, an image popped up of a similar pin. I followed the link to this:
1940s Enamel and Rhinestone Figural Circus Horses Brooch
Presenting a rhodium-plated beauty . . . two circus horses in colored headdress. One is enameled black with white accents; the other is fully rhinestone'd, with black front stockings. The back is bright silvertone and very smooth, typical of the quality figural pieces made in the late 1930s and early 1940s. There appears to be one small stone missing; if I can find a perfect match, I'll pop it in for you. Minor loss of enamel on the rear horse's headdress; other than those items, this dynamic horsey duo is in excellent condition. Measures just shy of 3" across. Unsigned.
Circus Pony Pin $75 from Retro Jewels on Ruby Lane, Gaithersburg, MD
Mine has a goldtone backing and is stamped with a manufacturer symbol...
...an "MB" on the front leg of one of the horses.
I'm thrilled to have found some information on a pin that appears related to mine, and plan to keep my eyes open for more.


No comments:
Post a Comment