Sunday, June 26, 2016

"I'm Telling!"

Oh, how I wish I had had my phone out last night to record a little barn altercation!

I rolled down the lane to the old barn around 6:30 and called Abby, then went inside to wait for her at the visiting spot. She came trotting up, and even whinnied in greeting. (That's an extra peppermint for you, my girl!)

I was slipping her her treats and talking with her when suddenly Trouble and Hokey arrived and came into the big box stall. Trouble is higher than Abby in the herd hierarchy, and so she quickly backed up and gave way to the two boys.

I was not happy - I don't feed Tim's horses treats, but Trouble is insatiably nosy and always wants to horn in to see what he might be missing. I was getting ready to shoo him out, when suddenly a shadow appeared at the door, and in came Diablo, with Abby hustling along at her flank.

Now Diablo is the herd alpha. She is also Abby's very best friend. And as soon as she came through the door, she pinned her ears at the geldings and that was all it took - Trouble and Hokey did rollbacks and gave way!

Abby marched right back to her spot as though to say, "I told you guys I would tell on you!" and picked up with our visit as though nothing had happened.

She got that extra peppermint.

No comments:

Post a Comment