I have been unable to get out to the barn to see Abby since my mother died on August 27. She's only five miles from my home, but it's not the distance that was challenging, it was finding the time and energy to get there. Planning my mom's funeral, having all our children and family come in, keeping my classroom going, and dealing with the myriad things the passing of a loved one can bring took every ounce of energy I had and made for some very long days.
Last night I finally felt that things had settled enough for me to spare the time it took to head out and see my girl.
Abby was happy to see me - no dithering about whether she wanted to amble over and see what treat I'd brought her this time!
Nope! She stretched her head over the stall door as far as she could, crowding up against it as you can see in this picture.
It was over 90 degrees outside, but inside the old barn was cool and breezy. (I love how the sun comes streaming through behind Abby in this picture.)
Abby made short work of the apple I'd brought her and then licked my hand thoroughly. That every-visit gesture from her was comforting. It helped me relax and feel as though some bit of normalcy had returned to my life.
I am so glad I was finally able to get to the barn. Horse therapy is a very real comfort.
No comments:
Post a Comment