Friday, August 2, 2019

"I Got a Rock"

In It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown and his friends are trick or treating
 and sharing with each other what they received as they go door to door.
House after house, after the other kids gleefully announce what they'd just gotten, Charlie Brown gloomily says, "I got a rock." (I have always disliked that part of the show.)

Well, I have discovered that a rock can be a really cool and creative gift!

My friend Nancy Kelly (another of those generous hobbyists) sent me a surprise care package that arrived the other day. Inside was a BreyerFest Memories booklet that she'd written chock full of photos from this year's event, a book to read while I am recovering from surgery, a note, and a rock. 
Inside the card was an explanation - she had gone out to her horse pasture and picked up a stone for me to have. What a great idea! I knew EXACTLY what I was going to do with that rock, and the timing of its arrival could not have been better.
Pony Pal Mila and Ian were with me that day, and we were going to be making stepping stones.
I make a stepping stone with tiny handprints or footprints after every one of my grandchildren are born. Then, as they grow up, we often make them in the summer or when I travel to their homes, just for fun.
 It's one of my favorite things, and the grands love to check out their stones when they come to visit.

Craig was already mixing up the concrete when Nancy's package arrived, so I decided that, in addition to helping Mila and Ian with their stones, I would make a stepping stone of my own using Nancy's pasture rock.
 Mila is NOT a minimalist. If there's any open concrete, it got a bauble of some sort.
Ian, on the other hand, is a less-is-more kind of guy (look at the round stone on the left.) He finished his quickly and then helped me make mine.
The blue rocks represent Nancy and the orange are for me with the horseshoe representing our mutual love of all things equine. I'm so pleased with it!
 It looks so nice out in the stepping stone garden!

I got a rock!! Thanks, Nancy!



1 comment:

  1. LOVE! Rocks can be meaningful, beautiful, and inspiring after all! I enjoy your stepping stones!

    ReplyDelete