Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Loose Lipped Mason

Mason is one of three black horses at the ranch. He's #7 in the herd order, ahead only of Yukon. Now that Dolly, Thunderbolt, and Yukon are out at Williamsport to give the ranch's pastures some relief, Mason and Abby have been palling around and I have gotten to know him better.

He's a very observant little guy, and if I don't call or whistle when I arrive, often he's the first to notice I'm there. He's quiet and gentle, and enjoys human company.

One thing that always makes me smile about him is a trait he shares with Nick, a horse I owned as a young girl - loose lips! (Kind of funny, too, that Nick was white, the opposite of Mason's color.)
 Look at that lower lip dangle - you can even see the inside of the lip.
 While standing at the fence... it hangs.
 This profile picture shows it practically flapping in the breeze! 
It's so loose, it hangs down and in front of his upper lip.
A little hard to see, but it's really loose here. 
Sometimes you can even see the spots that he has on the inside of that bottom lip!


No comments:

Post a Comment