Abby has learned to come up from the pasture when she hears my call or whistle. And so have the others - they all hustle up to the gate when they hear me call.
The herd was out in the far edges of the west pasture this afternoon when I arrived. Trouble and Hokey beat the rest up to get their treats. (The black horse is actually Mason; Hokey is way off in the back yet still beat everyone except Trouble!) Trouble and Hokey usually get to me first. I am not sure if they are greedier than the others or just have bigger appetites, but it is kind of fun to see "the boys" come running.And it's usually Trouble who grabs that first carrot nibble or sugar cube. He takes it nicely from the palm of your hand, but Hokey seems to never have learned how to do that despite being twelve years old. He still flaps his lips around, seeking contact with your hand and the treat. More often than not, he knocks the goodie onto the ground.
Abby got a carrot and some sugar, plus a few handfuls of grass and the usual scritch or two on the neck, chest, and crest. In turn, I had both hands thoroughly licked clean of any particle of carrot or sugar. (I have never known a horse who licked like she does!)


No comments:
Post a Comment