The site of my first horse show, both as a spectator and as a rider.
Our home was on Prophet Drive, and my sister, Leslie, and I would see horse trailers going down Soldiers Home Road on a Saturday morning, heading to the show. We would then beg our mom to take us over so we could watch.
The loudspeakers would blare western music (not country; WESTERN) as the horses and their riders would circle the ring. I can still hear bits of music and lyrics in my mind. "Cool! Clear! Water! (waterwaterwaterwater)."
It's where I saw the first Appaloosa named Abby shown by her owners, the Hartman family, who lived down Soldiers Home Road to the south. (My Abby is partially named after this horse, a horse I loved from afar as a little girl.)
It's also where I remember seeing racism first hand. A family was cheering on their black barrel racing horse. His name? Nigger. They yelled, "Go, Nigger! Go!" and I cringed as our new neighbors, who were African American and horse lovers, stood ringside and watched that horse run, hearing a very rude word yelled repeatedly while some in the audience laughed at its name. I was upset and felt like crying, and the sad memory has remained nearly fifty years later.
I spent many happy Saturdays at this field, watching horses in halter, saddle, and harness classes. Dreaming of the day when I would have a horse and maybe even get to ride at this very show. And I did - the first time I ever showed a horse was here at Soldiers Home.
My first horse show ever.
Amy and Lynn, 1971
Soldiers Home, West Lafayette, Indiana
(Notice the cast on my right hand. Nick had stepped on my foot when I was cleaning his hoof, I fell catching myself with my right hand, and he then stepped on my finger, breaking it.)


No comments:
Post a Comment