Thursday, February 20, 2014

Winter Drags On

This winter has dragged on - recent measurements by WLFI say we've had nearly five feet of snow! As I write, we have had snowfall every weekend since the Saturday after Christmas. While "walking in a winter wonderland" is fun for a while, it does get old.

The horses are faring well. Tim keeps a good eye on them and has kept them well fed, increasing their hay ration whenever the temperatures have dropped below zero (which has been many times.) The herd has two different run-ins in the old barn, so they can come and go as they wish, and about eight acres to roam. Truly, Abby could not be in a better spot.

Unfortunately, the bad weather has kept me from seeing my girl as much as I'd like. While I am definitely the most mobile I've been in the three years since I had my knees replaced, the depth of the snow has been a concern for a different reason - I haven't wanted to get my car stuck in the deep snow!

This week we've had some melting and the lanes to the horses are more accessible. But I am traveling and meeting new grandbabies Julie and Cambria (Whitney, I'll see you in a few weeks, sweetie!) so I haven't been able to get to the barn. Lisa did, though, and was thoughtful enough to send her horse-starved mama some pictures.
 Abby and Diablo, together as always. Love the hay in Diablo's forelock!
While this is a typical pose of Abby (frisking you for carrots and candy canes), Lisa took it to show me that Abby's forelock is growing out. Someone in the herd seems to enjoy nibbling it off, so it is nice to see it coming back!
Diablo stares forlornly at the bag of horse cookies. Lisa had set it down on the ground and turned to give some attention to one of the other horses when she heard a crackling sound. Diablo had grabbed the bag and was trying to eat out of it! So, Lisa placed it out of reach.

Winter is certainly dragging on, but I see some bare ground in three of the pictures. Surely spring is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment