Mom, all glammed up for my sister's wedding in 2009.
She, in the guise of Santa Claus in 1963, bought me the china horse that started my now-1,000+ piece collection of model horses.
I named him Brownie, and as you can see, he is very well-loved. Today I keep him in my china cabinet with my finest Hagen Renakers and other expensive chinas. (A fond memory of Brownie is holding him close to me as I lay in bed sick with the measles. I remember feeling so awful, but I still wanted my pony close by.)
Mom was an animal lover from the get-go herself. While never as horsey as me, she did like them, and used to go riding with her cousins at her Aunt Clara's farm in Watseka, Illinois.
Mom riding at her aunt's home. Notice she is also holding a little dog! This picture was taken around 1938.
During my childhood, I argued with my parents that our back yard was big enough for a horse. All we needed to do was to fence it in, and I would do the rest. Well, that really wasn't feasible, but my parents listened and continued to encourage my love of horses by giving me riding lessons, taking me to local horse shows so I could watch, and buying more pieces for my ever-expanding collection.
Finally the day came in January 1970 when they bought 8 acres on the Wabash River - room for me to have a horse! Two months later, I had Amy.
Amy and me, March, 1970.
Experienced horse people know what happened next. I got another horse - you can't keep a horse alone as they are herd animals. And then another, and...
Amy and Pokey.
Cee and me, swimming. (Gosh, that was fun, swimming with a horse!)We also had Nick and Flame, and later Indy and Sugar. Plus, I cared for other people's horses, Scoj and Lass, plus a donkey, Jose! (More fun!)
We may have been a backyard horse operation, but I did all the work, read books about horse care, observed how others did things, joined 4-H, showed in local shows, and through that process became a life-long horsewoman.
A favorite recent picture of my mother participating in a gigantic family water fight at my home.
Mom left for "greener pastures" yesterday. Her passing was peaceful and gentle, and I was with her when it happened. I visited her daily, and at the end of our visits, we always held hands and said a prayer together.
Mom and me, holding hands in prayer our final time yesterday.
Good-bye, Mom. You were the best. And thanks for supporting and encouraging my lifelong passion for all things horsey.
I love you and will see you again.




No comments:
Post a Comment