I never minded snowy weather when I was younger. I remember walking down icy concrete steps into the wooded ravine where our horses' paddock was every morning to feed and water them. I fell a few times, but teenagers and young adults are resilient and it was no biggie.
It sure is now. While I wouldn't call myself old, I am older. More importantly, though, are the joint issues I have from arthritis. Both my knees have been replaced, one hip as well, and I've had three ankle surgeries and a spinal fusion. I now have to be very careful about where I walk and not falling. (I would never tackle those icy steps now!)
So, when we get snow or ice, it is very hard to visit Abby. Both barns have long lanes leading out to them, and while Tim does a terrific job managing the property, it is still difficult for me to visit Abby when there is snow on the ground.
One solution is "drive by" visits - in the winter the herd hangs out a lot at the old barn, and it is close enough to a country road that I can often drive by slowly and do a visual check of my girl. It's certainly not ideal, but at least I can see her. (And I know Tim checks the herd daily when he feeds, so I don't have to worry about her having an unnoticed injury.)
Compound that with the shortened days of winter, and sometimes when I leave work it is already too dark to be able to do a drive by. Those are the most frustrating days of all.
We have had a layer of ice over snow for nearly two weeks now and I am missing my Abby time.
But the forecast is looking to be unseasonably warmer for a while so things should be thawing and I'll be able to get out to see her. While I am sad that we won't have a white Chrismas, I am thrilled I'll be able to get to visit Abby!
No comments:
Post a Comment