Saturday, December 31, 2016

Winter Barn Visits

It's winter and access to the barns has been dicey with snow and ice and then mud for a while. But we've had some nice weather for a few days and I have been able to get out and see my girl.
 Thursday we were having 40 mph winds, and it was cold, so instead of visiting with Abby at the gate or out in the field, I called her into the old barn. (Which wasn't hard - she knows my car and usually comes up as soon as she sees me driving down the lane.)
Sheltering in an old wooden barn in the winter when it's warm and full of the smell of hay and horses is a relaxing experience. I could have spent the rest of the afternoon there!
Abby's not cribbing here - she's licking the rails. It's something she does when I finish with her treats. I never see her do it otherwise, so I don't worry about it. (Abby's a slobbery girl; I think she is wiping up the remnants of apples, carrots, and peppermints that got drooled onto the rails.)
Yesterday the winds had died down, so we chatted outside. Again, Abby saw my car arrive and met me at the gate, nickering softly as she walked up. That always makes me smile.
I always check her over during our visits. She's wintering well thus far - she's got a nice, thick coat of hair, her feet are in good shape, and she hasn't dropped any weight.

The weather forecast for the next week is for more of the same - cold temperatures but no snow or ice, so I should be able to see her daily. She'll like that, and so will I!

No comments:

Post a Comment