Friday, April 17, 2020

Sultanna Shakes Me Up

Yesterday was sunny and cold with temperatures in the thirties. As I drove out to visit Abby, I was debating with myself as to whether or not I would park and get out of the car or just do a visual check since it was so chilly. I decided to drive down the road by the northeast and northwest pastures and do a quick visual first.

Abby, Diablo, and Trouble were out in the northwest field near the hayrack and happily eating. All good there! I continued driving past the old farmhouse until I could see the northeast pasture and behind it, the small pasture and loafing shed where Sultanna and Hokey are as we wait for Sultanna to foal.

Due to a slight rise in the ground, all I could see of Sultanna was a big yellow mound peeking over the top of the rise. Normally I can see whoever is in that pasture from my vantage point in the car, so I knew that that meant that she was lying down. (As yellow as she is, she looked like she was the sun coming up over a hill!) And if she was lying down, she might be foaling.

I quickly sped down the road, turned onto the road that bordered the east side of the property, turned into the lane to the barn, and hurried up the access lane to the pasture were Sultanna was pastured.
Despite the noise of my car crunching on the gravel as I drove up, she did not move. Not a twitch. That was really unusual for her. Was she ill?

I got out of the car and shut the door loudly, hoping that that would cause her to move, but again nothing happened. My heart sank - this was not looking good.
Finally I called her name. Sultanna's head popped up and her ears pricked as she looked at me. Then she heavily lumbered to her feet, shook herself and began walking, as normal as pie.

I breathed a sigh of relief. She'd been stretched out and enjoying the warmth of the sun! Apparently she'd fallen asleep so deeply and was so comfortable that it took a little more noise than usual to wake her.

So, no foal yet. And, it is still early days as Sultanna is not due until May. But, Sultanna herself was born a month early, so I would not be surprised if she foaled early, too. I guess we will find out!





No comments:

Post a Comment