Friday, October 30, 2020

50th Anniversary: What Does the Future Hold?

I cherish my model horse collection and have had so much fun looking back at the past fifty years and how it has evolved into what it is today. But I am also mindful that time is not standing still.

If you have a collection that you love, that you have worked hard to accumulate, document, care for, and enjoy, then you may have wondered what will happen to it when you are gone.

Craig and I are both in our sixties and are starting to think "those" kinds of thoughts, and not just about my collection but about other things, too.
Fortunately, we have some pretty good options. (This is my all time favorite photo of our children.)
There is Denver Daughter Sarah and her family. She and Todd are not horsey
nor is their oldest son, JC.
But Horse Buddy Trinity is! She graduates from high school this coming spring and is considering becoming an equine vet. She has plans to own a horse farm some day. 
Mountain Mama Jessica has one in her crew. Cambria loves mutton busting in rodeos and has plans to ride broncs. I will never forget Cambria's, "Oh, I LOVE horses" moment that was captured on film. 
Beach Son Kyle's kids are a few possibilities, too. Corrine (bottom right) was born the day I brought Abby home from Indiana Horse Rescue and even though she's now almost nine years old, loves to call Abby her "twin horse." 
Teacher Daughter Lisa is very much a horsey girl. (Doggy, too - that's Molly and Millie.) She is the one who championed my getting back into the saddle again this past summer and then cried when I finally did. She rides and has offered to make sure my collection is cared for when I am no longer here. Windsong Sherif is tagged for her - she loves that beautiful model and will take good care of it.
We see a lot of Local Son Curt, Vanessa, Pony Pal Mila, and Cowpokes Ian and Lukie. Lukie loves my Autism Horse and Carnivale, so they are already tagged to go to him. 
Mila asks to look through my cabinets and shelves every time she comes over.
Music City Son Cole has a daughter who loves cardinals (Julie), one who loves bunnies (Kate), and one who was introduced to Abby and the herd and asked where the pigs were! (Susan) It would not surprise me if one of them, perhaps Kate, becomes horsey.

I've made some contingency plans that Lisa is aware of with the names of people she can contact for help or questions as well as links to sites that will also assist her when the time comes.

But I am not worried - I think things are going to be just fine.


5 comments:

  1. This is a really important topic, but the best part of this post is all the pictures of your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post! And I love that first picture of you and Craig! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely ADORE the photo of your children leaping in the snow!

    ReplyDelete