Continuing yesterday's topic about pearlies.
So what's the difference between a glossy model horse and a pearly one? A glossy one has a deliberate outer layer of thick, shiny gloss that makes them shine. Pearliness comes from a type of plastic that Breyer used during the oil crisis of the 1970s that had a luminous shimmer to it. Glossy models shine on the outside; pearly ones glow from within.
Here are some pieces I've also taken chances on thinking they might be pearlies:
This is the seller's photo of a Classic Andalusian Foal. She was odd looking, and so inexpensive, that I bought her. She was also not nearly as red as the seller's photo made her look.
It was a good decision - she is indeed a pearly. Despite the poor photo, you can see how she glows. Still not convinced? Look at her forelegs above her hooves, especially the one that is touching the ground.
He's the foal on the right in this photo. They both have the white plastic showing under the black spots but you can see the difference.
Here's another one I took a chance on. Isn't this Five Gaiter gorgeous?
He glows so much that he isn't hard to photograph! This piece is a bit early for the hobby's understanding of when the chalky and pearly time period was, but clearly this one is a pearly.
I haven't figured out what is going on with him yet - it may be just an unusual (and stellar) paint job.
Pearlies and chalks are in demand by collectors, with pearlies being the harder to find of the two. I don't actively search for them, but I do snap them up if I see them.
I took a chance on this one, but he's not chalky or pearly. He sure is unusual, though.
I haven't figured out what is going on with him yet - it may be just an unusual (and stellar) paint job.
Pearlies and chalks are in demand by collectors, with pearlies being the harder to find of the two. I don't actively search for them, but I do snap them up if I see them.





No comments:
Post a Comment