Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Thunderbolt to the Rescue!

Earlier this month I was asked if I could sew a haversack for a 1:6 scale model horse. Not Breyer's Camila who is a 1:6 foal, but an adult 1:6 horse. I was sent the model's measurements (this horse was huge!) and sat down to figure out how to make a haversack that would fit a piece that big.

Thunderbolt to the rescue! (Photo from Google Images.) I had a partially tacked up Thunderbolt tucked away in my hobby closet. Thunderbolt is a 1:6 scale horse, although he is an inch taller and two inches less in length than my friend's horse. No problem; I would take that into consideration.


I keep inexpensive muslin on hand for whenever I want to make a prototype. I cut it out in the measurements I thought would work and pinned it together into a haversack. (That way I can unpin it and use the fabric again for another prototype.)  I made the haversack a couple of inches wider than the actual model's measurements to account for the 3D width.


When I tucked Thunderbolt into it, his ears and the tip of the rifle stuck out but that was okay - the model I was making this for was an inch shorter than Thunderbolt.


The prototype was a success so I went ahead and cut out the fabric, batting, and lining. (Normally I don't put batting into my haversacks, but my friend requested that as her model is fragile.)


The finished haversack. 


But would Thunderbolt fit inside?


He would! But I did not like how the flap was laying. I always cut them deeply enough so that they stay shut without velcro. (I don't like velcro around models. Too risky for scratches regardless of how you place the scratchy half.) Had I mismeasured my flap?


Nope, it was at 5 inches as it should be. The batting was the culprit - its bulk was preventing it from lying flat. Velcro was going to be needed.


Thunderbolt to the rescue yet again! I used him to help ensure that the placement of the velcro was high enough to close the haversack above my friend's model's head. 


Both strips of the velcro placed and stitched down.


Checking to be sure they lined up when closed. (They did.)


Empty.


With Thunderbolt inside. Success!

I get a lot of custom sewing orders, but this was an unusual challenge. It was also really, really fun. Plus, I noticed something about Thunderbolt that I had never been aware of before. 

Stay 'tooned!




1 comment:

  1. Thank heavens you can accommodate those of us who think all pony pouches should have batting and velcro...! I grew up with Thunderbolts -- I regard him quite fondly.

    ReplyDelete