Thursday, June 11, 2026

Another Loss - Nacho

Sweet Nacho, the very first guide dog I ever met, died yesterday. Kathy and her family are devastated. 

I was cleaning the garage with Ian, Lukie, and Lisa when Kathy called and asked if I could come over and stay with Tate. "Nacho needs to be euthanized this afternoon. Can you stay with Tate while I go with Nacho to the vet?"

You bet I could - that's the kind of call where you drop everything and go. 

Nacho is the most brilliant dog I have ever known. I have watched him in harness so many times, guiding Kathy around challenging obstacles, ones that would be difficult even for sighted people.


He loved to play with his stuffies when out of harness, and always, always greeted me at the door with one hanging out the side of his mouth. (Which, of course, he teased me with and would not let me have.)


He and Pepper were friends and Kathy and I enjoyed getting them together for play dates. 


I drove Kathy to many speaking engagements, and I always loved how Nacho would wait while she spoke.


Inevitably he would lean on her leg, slide down it, and then stay like that until she finished her presentation.


Kathy, Nacho, and me driving to one of her speaking engagements.


A real honor for them both was when Kathy was awarded Dolly Parton's Chasing Rainbows Award in 2016. 


Dolly had a surprise in store for them - she also recognized Nacho. 


Dolly presented Nacho with a pink and purple rhinestone collar to honor him for his role in helping Kathy in her work.


Such a nice gesture from Dolly, and one that meant a lot to Kathy.


Kathy and I got Nacho and Pepper together often.


Our neighborhood park has a walking path through it, and Kathy and Nacho could easily get there and meet Pepper and me for some time together down by the lake.


The four of us together in the park's pavilion.

It was in Spring, 2022, that Nacho began to show signs that guiding was getting difficult for him. Kathy made the tough decision that it was time for him to retire.

Because she and Nacho had visited numerous schools and other venues across the state, they were very well known, and the Tippecanoe School Corporation where Kathy taught threw a huge retirement party for Nacho. Pepper was invited as a special guest!


Me, Pepper, Kathy, Nacho, and Lisa at Nacho's retirement bash. His retirement even made the news - reporters were there filming the celebration and interviewing Kathy about him.

Nacho went to live with her parents whose home is just two blocks from Kathy's home. He already knew them well. Her parents loved him deeply and took wonderful care of Nacho. Kathy visited near daily, and Nacho transitioned well to being retired.

Nacho's health had begun declining at the end of last year. This morning it was very obvious that Nacho was ready to go and so the family went with him to the vet while I went to their home and stayed with Tate.


He's a stuffie guy just like his buddy Nacho.

A few hours later, Kathy announced Nacho's passing on her Facebook page.


Rest in peace, sweet Nacho. You were the bestest, goodest, sweetest boy.


My heart hurts at your loss. Rest in peace, buddy.


5 comments:

  1. May you rest in peace, Nacho. May your humans find comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad.
    Hugs to Kathy and also to you, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs add so much to our lives and ask for so little in return. The Guide Dogs are a very special category as devoted and dependable partners. What a sweet, gentle, and smart fellow. The puppy photo is adorable. So sorry for this very sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Service dogs deserve only the best- and Nacho had that. We share the grief with those who knew him. Tate has big paws to step into- but he will.

    ReplyDelete