First Post of the Day
My mother had kept a box of my school work for every year I was in school and I went through those boxes as I sorted out the garage. I found evidence of my horsey love going back to my youngest years.
Sneaking in a Zebra on the cover of your Africa report when the elephant was clearly sufficient? Yup!
There were lots and lots of doodles on notebook paper. I have no idea why my mother saved these, but I am glad that she did.
Truth be told, my drawing has not evolved much since elementary school. In fact, I just sent Cambria a letter and drew a jumping horse by my signature that is nearly identical to this one!
Nothing was exempt from horsey drawings, including this old box. It was full of old Christmas decorations.
In third grade we had done a poetry unit, copying poems from other poets as well as writing our own.
I probably selected this poem to copy because unicorns are horsey-ish. A text search brought up the author as Ella Young who write the poem in 1939.
pastures were just as alluring to me then as they are now! And I love how Robert Frost twice extends an invitation to the reader. "You come, too."
A Lynn original for Halloween with no horses mentioned. Not a masterpiece by any means, but I do like that last line.
Another Lynn original with several connections to my own life back then.
Mary is my cousin and I associate her with past family holidays when we ate cherry pie together (and still do.) Of course, a horse is included, and the horse's name, Kerry, was the name of my grandmother's canary.
Not brilliant poetry by any means, but it does reflect the family!
Of course, going through boxes that contains things like my old drawings and poems takes time and slows down my progress as I work to put the garage back in order.
Yesterday the garage got worse instead of better.
We moved the old couches and tables out there because we were going to need the space inside for today.
Our new blinds are being installed next week and now is the perfect time to wash windows. Our sweet cleaning lady and her 6' 4" fiancé said that they would do that job for us today, and we had to move the old couches out of the way so that they had room to move the ladder around.
We took advantage of the new "dining space" in the garage for dinner last night with Lisa, Curt, Vanessa, and the kids.
Oh! What fun!
A second post is coming. Stay 'tooned!
That’s my problem with cleaning rooms or garages, if there are magazines or pictures or papers or anything written or printed involved… The time to completion is magnified.
ReplyDelete