When I was seventeen, I got the bright idea of seeing if I could get Pokey, our large cob pony, up the porch steps and into the house. He was in an small, fenced enclosure by the porch; since it was difficult to mow, we would just bring him up from the pasture, put him in there and let him graze it down.
He was there, no one was home, and so... up the stairs he went and through the door into the back foyer! And then I heard the crunch of gravel as my mother came home and caught me with Pokey half in/half out of the house. Needless to say, she was NOT happy.
Ask me then why I did it, and I would respond, "I don't know." Ask me now, and you get the same response. I have no clue!! (It does help me in the classroom when a student gives me a similar response after I have asked them why they did something. And you know, I get it! I understand that sometimes you do things and don't know why!)
The story of me bringing Pokey into the house is a favorite one of my kids and they like to tease me good naturedly about it.
Saturday I learned that I am not alone in the impulse to bring a horse into a home:
That's Jamie at the Indiana Horse Rescue with Louise. I was sitting with Melanie discussing possibly adopting Sassy/Abby, and in came Jamie to work with Louise trotting right alongside!
Hey, kids, it's not just me!!

No comments:
Post a Comment