Saturday, April 28, 2012

Later that Afternoon...

After my long nap yesterday afternoon, I went back out to the barn to check on Abby and sign boarding papers with Tim. Tim  suggested we take her into the arena and see what she could do. I could tell he really wanted to work with her, and I was fine with that - he's a very knowledgeable horseman and I figured that, not only would Abby learn something, I might, too!

Plus, it takes time to get to know a new horse's quirks and personality. Compound that with the fact that Abby is a rescue who has been abused and mistreated, I have no idea what might trigger some fearful behavior in her. So I was glad to let Tim play with her and see what she could (or might) do.

So into the arena we went.

Because the footing in the arena is deep and I have had a hip and two knees replaced, I have some  trouble moving around in it. I was concerned that, if Abby got excited or we found a trigger or flashpoint, I might not be able to get out of the way. I stepped back and assisted Tim, grabbing gear from the tack room and snapping photos when I could.

It became apparent very quickly that Abby knew how to longe. She stopped pretty quickly when Tim said, "Ho!" and was very quiet and calm. Yes!!

Tim looked at me and said, "What would you think if we sacked her out? I think this mare has more experience than she's been given credit for." (I did, too.) Sacking out is a part of the training process where you take the saddle blanket and put it on a horse's back, flap it around, brush it against the animal, etc. to accustom them to the idea of a saddle coming their way.

 Abby clearly had no problems with this, even when Tim whipped that saddle blanket under her belly! He looked at me and I looked at him with big smiles. Another YES!!

"Want to try a saddle on her?" he asked. YOU BET. My saddles are still at home in the garage, so I went into the tack room and grabbed a saddle I thought would fit her.
 Here Tim is tightening the cinch on her.
 Doesn't look like a bucking bronc, does she?? While she sidestepped a bit, it was obvious she'd been saddled. And, considering she had been at the rescue place for 8 1/2 months with no one working her, I was amazed that all she did was sidestep!
Tim led her to the center of the arena for some longing under saddle and to see what she would do. She acted as though this was all very, very familiar.
 Tim longed her for a while again, saddle on her back, and then told her to stop. Just look at that good girl!!
 No snorting, no playful bucking or kicking, and enjoying human contact.
He tested her to see if she would accept having her head worked with. You can handle her ears (sometimes a trigger in the tamest of horses) and she gives her head easily.
Finally, Tim, who will trim her hooves for me, picked up all her feet, stretching them forward, and then flexing the joints. Clearly she has no sore joints or issues with having her feet handled.

While watching all this play out, and feeling my excitement grow, I began to realize that I may have gotten a huge bargain in purchasing this little mare.

Tim confirmed what I had been thinking privately when he told me later that he felt I had gotten a really good deal, a jewel of a horse. She has great conformation, a lovely personality, and is very people oriented. (She was following Tim around, off lead, like a puppy, and even came to me when I called her!) "She is certainly not what I expected when you told me you were getting a rescue horse," Tim declared. "I think you really have something here. She's quick, too; bet she'd be a good gaming horse, she's got nice conformation, is sound, and is really, really a nice horse."

We both feel she is a quality mare who was overlooked for adoption because the rescue place could not verify if she had ever been ridden.

As I said my prayers last night, in gratitude for such a monumental day (new grandbaby and new horse all at once!) I got the distinct impression of "fondness" from the Lord. I felt like He was smiling down at me, very Paternally, and had sent this little mare into my life even though I had had zero plans to get a horse. It felt like He was saying, "Just wait until you see what I have in store for you" coupled with a big wave of love.

I am so grateful and feel very, very blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment