Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pokey

Pokey was actually the fourth horse we added to our family herd. (I will write about Nick and Flame another time.) My parents wanted something for my sister, Leslie, to ride, and we bought Pokey, an aged silver dapple cob to fulfill that need. (Amy became very partial to me and did not like other people riding her. In fact, one day Leslie tried to mount her and she backed up and through the barn door, splintering it!)

Pokey had been owned by an elderly man who had done countless things with him - riding, driving in parades, etc. Pokey could park out like a show pony and even count/shake hands! We discovered his trick-side by accident. I have often wondered what else he could do that we never discovered.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Amy and Pokey. This is from 1974 or 1975 when we were boarding them at Mahlkes' farm on 600 east of Harrison High School. (The farm is no longer there - it's been turned into Coyote Crossing Golf Course.) I think they look the picture of health - shiny coats, well fed, and interested in a visit with their human friends.

Pokey could also be a stinker! One day I was holding him while the farrier was trimming his feet. I happened to have a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup in my back pocket. As I chatted to the farrier, I inadvertently turned my back to Pokey. Smelling the candy, he took a big CHOMP on my pocket! Unfortunately he got some of me, too! OOoooOOOO!! I get chills just remembering it! It HURT. And, to add insult to injury, there was no way I was going to eat candy with horse teeth marks in it!

Pokey would eat just about anything. He could also drink pop out of a can. If we happened to have some with us, he would come over, stretch his neck out, and then stick his lower lip waaaaaaay out to the side, forming a cup. We'd hold the can up and he'd slurp that soda right up. (Of course, then you had to decide if you really wanted to finish your drink after the can had had pony lips on it!)

Leslie kept Pokey until his death. He got older and slowed down quite a bit, but she gave him great care. Like Amy and me, he found his lifelong home with her. I think he died when he was 34 or 35 of a heart attack, dropping in his tracks.

Such a wonderful old guy he was, and perfect for our family herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment