Indiana is a great place to live, and one of the things about it that I really enjoy is the abundance of antique shops. Nearly every small town or wide place in the road has one, and I love to poke through them when I have time.
Today I drove an hour north to visit one that I check out once or twice a year.
It has aisles to wander down and is clean and well lighted.
It's very easy to see the merchandise.
I spied a very yellowed Breyer Old Timer. It has no breaks and was in excellent shape aside from the yellowing, plus it had its hat.
But, the vendor wanted $32 for it - far more than the $10-$15 I was willing to pay. I considered asking if they would accept less than the asking price, but generally shops will only take 10% off and that still would have been more than I was willing to pay.
This unusual horse was $12. I thought it might be a European ware, but it had no label or stamp. I didn't like it well enough to risk the money and so it, too, stayed behind.
I've already got a pair of Fostoria bookends just like this one. I see these often when I am antiquing, and they can range from $15 to $60. Mine were a gift from a friend, Martha Jones, when I graduated from high school.
I used to collect old horsey tins, and this one was really cool. I was tempted, but ultimately left it behind.
This large art print was unusual. From the color palette, I would guess it is from the 1940s or 1950s. But I left it behind (and didn't even look at the price.)
So, I came home empty handed. But that's okay - I'll be back another time. And in the meantime, there are tons of other places to go search for treasures!
No comments:
Post a Comment