When we arrived, Abby and the herd were out in the northwest pasture. I parked the car, got out, called, "Abbyyyyyy" and whistled.
"Will she come when you call?" my friend asked in a surprised voice. Sure enough, Abby had already picked her head up from all the luscious grass and was heading our way!
After giving Abbs a couple of peppermints myself, I handed the bag to my friend so she could do the same.
Peppermints are probably Abby's favorite treat. (Someday I am going to line up a carrot, an apple, a pear, and a peppermint, call her up, and see which she chooses to eat first! Hah!)
I'd warned Lisa of Abby's propensity for drooliness and for licking people's hands, so Lisa was prepared.
Trouble was stirring up the herd for no reason, so I had to use the dressage whip and shoo him away. (How's that for a photo? I wasn't even aware that I had snapped it - must've hit the button as I reached down to put my phone in my pocket. ) We decided to continue our visit in the old barn where he would not be trying to chase everyone around.
Lisa was surprised to find that Abby would follow me into the barn and then just stay and hang out with us, even though the treats had long disappeared. (That's one of the things I love most about my horse - she just likes to be with me.) Lisa and I stood and chatted with each other while we scratched Abby's neck and chest, rubbed her ears (a favorite), and petted her while we talked.
It was fun sharing my girl with a good friend - I hope Lisa can come out with me again.
No comments:
Post a Comment