I call her name and whistle the same way my Dad used to whistle for Amy and the horses that we had when I was a kid. Abby usually lifts her head up as soon as she hears my call and nickers to me. (She tends to be a vocal little mare!)
(All photos were taken by Vanessa and are part of my Mother's Day gift!)
I might open the gate and go mingle among the horses, or if I still have school shoes on or if it's muddy, I hang by the gate and let them come to me. And usually they do - all eight of them have learned that I have a treat of some sort (apple spaghetti, carrots, or just handsful of clover) to share so they amble over, stretch out their necks to me, and get a treat.
We visit at the gate, and they stomp around, taking turns to say "hello." I love their soft breath on my face and neck, and they way they offer their faces for petting.
For a while we all stand mingled together, just "chatting" and being companionable. It is a very relaxing, enjoyable feeling to hang out with horses!
One afternoon this week while on my carrot run I had a sudden memory of my father in a similar situation. He used to head down to the gate as soon as he got home from work (and the horses would watch for his arrival, then gallop up to the gate to meet him.) He would lean on the rails, feeding each horse sourball candy that he had in his pocket and simply enjoying being with the horses for a few minutes before coming into the house for dinner.
Dad, I understand.



No comments:
Post a Comment