When a horse stands "parked out" like that, it's usually sign that their feet hurt. And Coco had been foundered sometime before we got him, and has flare ups occasionally. His coffin bone has also rotated. Poor guy!
Here's a diagram of coffin bone rotation.
He needs to be off lush grass for a while, so Leslie has him in a box stall in the barn. It's oversized, airy, and Skippy stands in the aisle and hangs out with his buddy for company.
Skippy can't be stalled as he gets cast - probably a function of being blind and unable to judge the distance from the walls when he lies down.
Coco was in good spirits and was moving better than I expected.
He reminds me so much of a stuffed animal. Look at those fuzzy ears!
I needed to give him a dose of bute while I was there.
It's a medication for horses that alleviates pain, especially in the joints.I crushed up some of Coco's favorite peppermint nugget treats, then added hot water to them to soften them. He's in his late twenties and his teeth are worn down, so he needs soft food and treats.
Like any good horsey mama, Leslie uses a kitchen mixing bowl for her horses' medical needs. Coco ate right out of it and snarfed that bute-sprinkled treat mash down.
When he was done, I cleaned out and refilled his two water buckets.
And gave him a flake of hay for dinner.
I get to come back tomorrow - I love caring for Coco and Skippy when Leslie is gone.

My mini did that a few weeks ago! However, it was because her feet hurt AND because she had a really bad tummy ache from our hay being over FIVE YEARS OLD! (We were new horse owners and we went to the local feed store to ask for "horse hay" they cheated and scammed us...gave us old hay that was like straw...but our family didn't notice because we were, as I said, first-time horse owners. They lived on that stuff for seven months, even through the winter! two weeks ago my friend came over to feed my animals and pet while I was gone, and she noticed how bad the hay was. My two mini's had also lost a lot of muscle, but we didn't know why). Now they are on good, fresh, clean, nice hay. My one mini is 20 years old and the other was 11......it is amazing and I am very lucky that they didn't die through the winter on that stuff. My poor babies! Lesson learned!
ReplyDelete~CBL