Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Super Bowl Connection to Children's Literature

A big part of my classroom curriculum is classic children's literature - many assignments revolve around classic books or include them in one aspect or another. My students become very adept at spotting what we call "classics connections" in their daily lives and our community. (An example would be the commonly used phrase, "We aren't in Kansas anymore" since it connects to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.)

So, when the teachers were asked to participate in a short movie for the school with our predictions of the score in the upcoming Super Bowl, naturally I chose the Denver Broncos as my team, and made my score a classic connection.
It connects to a book on my top ten list of children's literature, The One Hundred and One Dalmatians. (Don't miss the book - it is FAR better than any of the Disney movies!)

I imagine many in the school will be scratching their heads at my "wild guess" of a score when we show the film tomorrow, but my students will understand and smile when they see it.

(The panther mural in the background is a coincidence - my school is the Hershey Panthers and this is our school mural. I just happened to be standing by it when they came around to film me!)

2 comments:

  1. If the final score is 101-0 Denver might just explode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty wild score, I know!! And actually, Denver is my team as are the Colts. I am sure you can guess why. :)

    ReplyDelete