We chatted several more times during the day which made for a pleasant model horse sort of day. With her permission, I post her email with the history and cleaning tips below.
Many thanks, Sue!
Hi Lynn,
Your light is fine… YES!!!! Yes, that bridle is definitely by me (SBY, TSII). It was made in 1996. A photo shows a batch of 5 bridles sent to Susan Taylor, finished February 8, 1996, of which it is the middle one. The bit is by Rio Rondo/Carol Williams. I'm just amazed it isn't more corroded than it is! Twenty years old, exactly… Made during the first flush of excitement over learning the Pineapple and single interweave buttons (summer 1995). This was the start of a career in miniature braiding… I still love doing them.
CLEANING NOTES
Use a Qtip or kleenex to remove the green (copper sulfate) from around the buckle tongues/rings. This is caused by the copper in the tongues/rings reacting to the leather. The only way to truly cure it (other than by erecting a barrier, i.e. plate the metal with something: silver, rhodium, chrome, nickel or gold) is replace them with a metal that doesn't contain copper. I usually use stainless steel. Aluminum would also work. (I don't have any good Aluminum wire.) I discovered stainless steel wire in about 2000.
Folklore has it that cleaning with vinegar discourages the corrosion. I have found this true. Folklore has it that painting metal parts with clear nail polish discourages corrosion. If the polish is truly oxygen-proof I have found it delays tarnishing by up to about 10 years, but not forever.
Enjoy your collection,
Horsefully,
Sue
No comments:
Post a Comment