I was reading Susan Bensema Young's blog this weekend about a bridle that she had found on MH$P listing herself as the tackmaker. Susan did not remember having made that bridle, got out her binders where she tracks everything she has made, and confirmed that it was not her work.
As I read that post, and saw who the MH$P vendor had purchased her bridle from, the story was eerily familiar. I, too, had bought a bridle from the same original owner at that same BreyerFest, and it, too, was labeled as having been made by Susan.
I know the original vendor about as well as I know any of my hobby friends - it's all long distance friendships with sporadic meet ups at model shows or events. This friend has always been open and honest with me, and if the bridles she was selling were not by Susan Bensema Young, then I would assume it was an honest mistake. Susan Bensema Young, on her blog, graciously alludes to the same thing - no one is pointing any fingers of blame.
I felt it was important that I verify my own bridle, especially so that, if I ever sell it or pass it on, I can share accurate information about its history. (As the hobby grows, its early history is becoming more and more important.)
So, I contacted Susan, explained the situation, and asked if I could send her photos of my bridle to look at. She agreed, and so I snapped some shots and sent them earlier this morning.
I had left the bridle in its original package as a means of documentation.
That blue glow on the bit is just the lighting in my office at this hour of the day.
Susan Bensema Young used the braiding and hardware on the other bridle as a way to determine if the work was hers or that of another tackmaker, so I tried to get shots of that for her.
I cannot imagine creating something so tiny and intricate!
I am very interested in what Susan Bensema Young has to say. If it is her work, hooray! I wanted a sample of her work in my meager collection of tack, and that is why I bought it. If it isn't, I will remove the tag on the bag with Susan's name on it and keep it as part of my tack collection anyway.
After all, it is a very pretty bridle and an example of early hobby tackmaking.
No comments:
Post a Comment