Thursday, April 14, 2016

Horsey Comfort

Just being in Abby's company, hearing her nicker when she sees me, having her companionably graze around me while I sit beside her in a lawn chair (she always comes over periodically to check on me and then goes back to her grazing) - all relax and refresh me.
Abby licking my hand as she does at the end of every visit.

Tonight it was good to be with Abby - I needed some refreshment. Disturbing news was given to me at lunch about a former student, one who is only twelve years old. He was a sweet boy, but very different from the other children. Nonetheless, my class was accepting of him and put up with his quirks and oddities during the two years I was his teacher.

Unfortunately, when he left me and went on to middle school where there are far more children, he was not accepted by his new peers and had some significant struggles.

He responded by trying to kill himself.

I was told that he was institutionalized for some time and just recently was released. But to what is he returning? Surely his suicide attempt has distanced him even more from the other seventh graders who already have shown that they do not accept him. I can only pray and hope for this guy.

Times when it is good to just head to the barn after school for a little horsey comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment