Monday, August 14, 2017

Making Hay

When I drove up to the barn, I noticed that the hay field had been mowed. Tim and a few helpers are getting ready to bale another cutting of hay for the winter.
The smell of freshly mown hay is one of my favorite smells of all. It smells of summer, warm days, and relaxation. (Er for me, not for the folks actually cutting and baling the hay!)
 The hay wagon was pulled up alongside the old barn and the opening to the hay mow.
There was some loose hay left on the bed, and the door above was open, so my guess was that Tim had put a load in the hay mow earlier in the day.
 I've never been in the hay mow - with my joint issues, climbing the ladder just isn't something I can do anymore. But when I was younger and didn't have joint problems, I absolutely loved being up in the hay mow of our barn!
I tried to see if I could see any burnt boards through the window. The old barn was actually built elsewhere on a different property about 100 years ago. It caught fire, although it did not burn to the ground. What was left was salvaged and moved to its current location on Tim's property. That also was years and years ago - decades, even. Tim says that up in the hay mow you can see boards that were partially burned in the fire.
Tim will let the hay dry and cure and then bale it early this week. I love knowing the source of Abby's hay is just right next to her pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment