Thursday, August 31, 2017

Snap!!

Tuesday I dropped by the barn after school to check on Abby. I had a favorite treat for her in my car.
Apple spaghetti! I'd made apple crisp and had saved the peelings and cores for her. Abby loves apple spaghetti, and I love watching her try to eat it with the strings of peel hanging out of her mouth.
 Tim had rotated pastures, and the horses were near the new barn and using the loafing shed for shade. Abby came up promptly and began slurping up all the peels and cores.

This pasture has an electrified top wire, and that made it a little more difficult to hand feed her the spaghetti. She didn't want to get shocked, and neither did I. I thought about going inside with her, but I had my good shoes on and there was mud by the gate. (Slipping between the wires in a grassy spot hurts my back.)

Naturally, Sultanna and Snickerdoodle had followed Abby up to see me. They looked on hopefully while she ate that spaghetti, and then suddenly, I think it was Snickerdoodle, one of them stepped forward and accidentally made contact with the electric wire.

There was a loud SNAP and the three horses shied away from the fence, cantering back to the loafing shed.
I think that is definitely a reproachful look that Abby is giving me!

Note to self - you have your barn shoes in the trunk of the car. Wear them next time so that this doesn't happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment