Monday, October 9, 2017

The Return of My McClellan Saddle

Nearly two decades ago, I loaned my antique McClellan military saddle to a friend. She wanted to use it in the decor of her home, and I was not using it so I was happy to let her have it for as long as she wanted. And actually, I forgot about the saddle.

Luckily, my friend to whom I had loaned it did not, and last weekend she returned it. She's downsizing and could no longer use it.
She's taken good care of it and kept it in a climate controlled room.
I don't know a lot about the saddle - not even where I originally got it. It may be something I picked up in the 1980s, either at a flea market or from some of my other horsey friends while I was living in Illinois.
I have done some research and know that they were made in the late 1850s and used by the US military through World War II. Apparently they are still made and used by endurance riders.
I wonder what the history is behind this old saddle.  Was it ever used in battle? Who were the horses and people who used it? Just how old is it?

Questions I will probably never have the answers to.

No comments:

Post a Comment