Saturday, January 5, 2019

Variations: Bay Running Mares

Finally! We got a spell of sunshine here in Indiana for an afternoon, and I made good use of it by photographing these mares for a blog post with the improved light in my office.

Breyer's Running Mare was first introduced around 1961, and the bay coloring was produced on the mold from 1961/1963 to 1987.
 Both of mine are early pieces; one is a darker brown while the other is a reddish bay.
 The first mare is very similar to the 5 Gaiter sorrel color
 and her shading is outstanding.
 She has those black, black, black hooves of the early Breyers
and no USA stamp, dating her to about 1961 - 1969. With eye whites, no USA stamp, and the semi-gloss finish, she is an uncommon variation for this piece. (The fully glossy model is extremely rare.)
 Her "sister" is a much redder bay
 and her shading is not quite as spectacular although it is still very nice.
 She too, is a semi-gloss, has the black hooves
 and no USA stamp, dating her to pre-1970.

Despite my love of vintage Breyer, these two only joined me a year or so ago. The red bay was found at an antique shop while the darker one came from my friend, Teresa Rogers' collection.

As I said when I wrote about these mares' matching foals, I am not overly fond of Breyer's early bay coloring, but I am glad to have these two in my collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment