A blessing gown that I made for Cowpoke Susie.
You might think that since I like to sew, I would enjoy quilting, but I don't. I do not have the patience to cut and piece all those bits of fabrics, or the talent to put colors together that work. Nor do I want to hand quilt the pieced top to its batting and then bind it.
My best friend from high school, Shelly, is another story.
One of Shelly's quilts, all hand stitched.
Shelly (on the right) and me in 1974 at The Brown County Covered Bridge Festival. We both had the same last name (Martin) although we were not related, and people often thought we were twins. So, we used to dress alike for fun!
A few of Shelly's recent quilt blocks ready to be assembled into a quilt.
Like me, Shelly has retired from teaching. She now spends her time making beautiful quilts. Yesterday she posted a photo of a new quilt block she was working on - George Washington astride his horse.
She began by selecting fabrics that would bring the horse alive. (Notice how she tucked the tail behind the horse's hock to give it an even more realistic appearance.)Almost done. Shelly told me that she had no pattern for this block and that she was just making it up as she went along.
I had to comment on her lovely work when she posted photos on Instagram.
I was excited to read that she was making another horse and rider! (Which makes me wonder what the theme of this quilt is - presidents? Early American historical figures?)
I see a lot of parallels to the model horse hobby. I am a good solid sewist, but I am not an artistic sewist. Shelly most definitely is. But, we both find joy in our respective niches.
In the model horse hobby, we have a similar thing - those who paint horses and are good solid painters, and then those artists whose work takes our breath away. (Kylee Parks comes to mind.)
The most important thing, whatever our hobby or passion, is to find the joy in what we are doing.








No comments:
Post a Comment