Life settled into an "empty nester" routine during the 2010s. We were back home again in Indiana (funny how often you can slip that song title into a sentence!) and I was an experienced teacher and no longer spending countless hours grading and preparing lessons. I finally had time to return to live showing.
I went to Indycon, Pat Reed's long running show in Indianapolis, a time or two. Pat and Michelle Evans, both long time hobbyists, have been friends since I went to my first Indycon in the early 1990s.
I combined a visit to Sarah and her family in Iowa with that show, and invited Horse Buddy Trinity to show with me. Shortly after that, they moved to Aurora, Colorado and now live a mile or so from where The Jennifer Show is held. I hope to combine a visit to Colorado with an entry to that show the next time it is held.
Meeting up at BreyerFest with long time friend Cindy Neuhaus and looking at one of her Lakeshore Raku pieces.
I was pleased I'd gone - I won two reserve national championship (NAN cookies) despite bringing such a small show string.
It was great to have time to show again, and I am lucky that Indiana is in the middle of some very active show areas - Chicago, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. But as happy as I was attending shows, I still felt like something was missing.
In the next 50th anniversary post, I'll write about what that was and how I found what I was missing.
The winners of the embroidered blankets will be announced in a blog post later this morning!








Some day I'm going to make it to a live show! How do you keep your horses nice?
ReplyDeleteGood question. I handle them carefully at home and at shows, and when I pack them for traveling, I use haversacks to protect them. With the chinas, I also wrap them in some bubble wrap before putting them into the haversacks. I hope you get to go to one some day - they are FUN!
Delete