Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Word About Unkindness

After buying the web special Sassy, there was so much snarking and unkindness on a hobby blog or two and some Facebook forums that I have been limiting my time on Facebook and social media ever since. I am simply tired of (and very saddened by) the meanness. Rarely do I comment about things like that here, although I did make an exception in that Sassy post.

I thought the Sassy post would be the last comment I made about the ugliness that seems to be swamping our online hobby world. But yesterday I heard rumblings and took a quick peek online to investigate. Oh. My. Goodness. A morass of nastiness was playing out on some online sites. And that caused Breyer to make an unprecedented move. 

Never, ever did I imagine that Breyer would withdraw a model due to the escalating mean spiritedness.  But they did. You can read about it on the Breyer blog. (Apparently Intuit's owners asked that he no longer be the celebration horse. Thanks, Jennifer Buxton, for the additional information.)

Certainly I have my own opinions about the issue, some of them quite strong. But I am not commenting on my thoughts about Intuit or Breyer's choices here - I am commenting on the responses that some of us are posting in public. I'm making a plea for some kindness, better self control, and keeping in mind that we are all human with feelings and hopes and aspirations. There are ways to express opinions civilly without personal attacks and vitriol. 

Please, be kind when you state your thoughts and opinions. Please, phrase them in a way that makes your point without devastating or smearing someone else. Please.


Yes, comments are accepted on this blog entry for entering the drawing. 




4 comments:

  1. It's my understanding that Intuit's connections made the choice to withdraw him from BreyerFest, not Breyer. I haven't spoken publicly on the matter. Like you I have some definite opinions, but I feel like this was handled poorly by people on all sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the additional information. I have added that to the blog entry.

      Delete
  2. It feels like our society is in a downward spiral. I hope everyone can just stop, take a deep breath, and as you said, be kind. So much stress right now!

    ReplyDelete