Saturday, August 9, 2025

A Chilling Spot

Second Post of the Day

Ever walked into a building, looked around, and gotten chills when you realized just where you were standing? Friday evening that happened to me.

I had taken Ian to the open house for his school. It's the school that was smashed by a tornado in 2013 and damaged so badly, it took two years before the building could be re-opened for classes. (The elementary next door was also hit, but sustained far less damage than the middle school.)

Security cameras inside the school caught video of the tornado hitting the building. I've posted that video here before and watched those concrete block gym walls peel off like a banana.

I realized that Ian and I were standing right there.


This long wall (red striped) and the back wall to the left are those that came tumbling down.


This wall with the bleachers stayed up but there was a lot of debris blowing in from the corner as the other two walls came down.

To watch in the video and also see the hallway ceiling collapse onto the floor... more chills as a teacher. Hallways are where most schools shelter their kids during a tornado warning. Luckily this tornado struck on a Sunday afternoon so no kids were there.

Here is the link to watch the tornado hit the building (gym and hallways) if you are interested:


Ian had no idea how I was feeling and, while he knows his school was once hit by a tornado, I didn't want to bring it up and I certainly would not show him that video.

We moved on and went back to wrestle with his locker combination - apparently there is a trick to opening the lockers and we had yet to learn it! (We succeeded eventually with help from someone who had figured the trick out. )




No comments:

Post a Comment