Monday, August 25, 2025

Opening Boxes

Second Post of the Day

For almost a month, two boxes of goodies from Breyer have been sitting on the table by my desk, waiting to be opened.

The wait was long partly because I've been busy, but also partly because of this:


My photography shelf had disappeared.

It's that middle shelf and while the picture of Abby and me belongs there as do the sleigh bells from Jennifer Buxton, nothing else does. The shelf became a catch-all earlier this summer. Time to clean it off and open those boxes.

From Breyer's Second Chance Sale, I got Life's a Journey.


He was a Special Run and 2,000 were produced.


I was hoping to get another Ties that Bind Us (the Silver mold) but I was several hours late to the sale and they sold out long before I got online.


I really like the American Saddlebred mold by Kathleen Moody so when it was released in a pretty buckskin Appaloosa, it went right onto my to-buy list.


There is some confusion as to its name; IYB has it listed as American Saddlebred 2000 while Breyer lists it as Saddlebred | 75th Anniversary.


A quick check of the box gives some merit to the IYB listing.

I have loved the "cake and ice cream horses" (as I call them) that Breyer started producing and have purchased every one of them as they were released.


Cupcake, 2019 - 2021


Red Velvet, 2021 - 2022


Neapolitan, 2023 - 2024)


Black Forest, BreyerFest 2022

I find them charming, but were they a series or not? Well, one of Breyer's 2025 mid-year releases gives us a clue.


(Photo from Breyer's web site.)

Mint Chip, a Classic/Freedom mold just as the other four are, is listed on Breyer's web site as "Dessert Decorator Horse." It's not listed as a series, though, but it sure fits right in with the other four "cake and ice cream" models that have been released.

Mint Chip was also in those two boxes that have been sitting on my desk for nearly a month.


I thought he might glow in the dark, but I tested him and mine does not.


I like this mold and I like this color. And, I hope Breyer will be releasing more Dessert Decorators!

Last of all in the boxes were two Breyer Collectas, the Standardbred Pacer Stallion.


They will be used as prizes or raffle items for the Happy Trails/Dan Patch show this fall.

They are in the show tub and the other models are on the shelves, but that has revealed another problem - I badly need to rearrange my shelves. Even more, I REALLY need to dust them and my collection.

That will take me at least a week and I have too much going on right now. It's a project for when the temps are freezing and the snow is blowing and will just have to wait until January.

In the meantime, if I get more models, well, that photography shelf can be filled up again, right? Hah!




2 comments:

  1. I need Mint Chip for my collection! It's my favorite ice cream flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool to see all the 'cake & ice creams' together like this. It's a series that's not too large for collecting-success, either in number or in size. It is charming, as you say. Mint seems to be unintended [for the series], which makes it even more charming. (Wasn't there a SM cake pony?)

    ReplyDelete