Yesterday I drove out to Oxford. It is only a fifteen minute drive from my home - less time than it takes me to drive across the Wabash and into Lafayette.
The occasion was the Feast Sewing Circle. Brooke Sauter, the owner of the Dan Messner building in Oxford, is also the director of the Feast of the Hunters' Moon and the Feast Sewing Circle. She invited the FSC to come sew there.
I love the Feast, I love sewing, I love history (and historic buildings), and I love horses. Merging so many of my interests into one activity? Just the best!
Even better was that another historical sewist, one who was retiring from sewing 18th century clothing, had donated yards and yards of fabric, spools of very expensive linen and cotton thread, patterns, trims, and more to the group. All free to us!
Brooke had set out tables and tables of donations. Had we held the FSC in its usual location in downtown Lafayette, there would not have been room for it all - we were spread out all over the downstairs floor.
I'd brought a project to work on, but I never got to it. I spent the time going through the donations and selecting what I could use, helping another sewist who needed assistance making a cloak, and chatting with friends.
An assortment of linen sewing thread, buttons for my to-be-made riding habit as well as sleeve buttons, two 18th century thread holders, and a knotting shuttle made from bone. (Knotting shuttles are the 18th century precursor to the 19th century tatting shuttle.)
I have a lot of patterns by Kannik's Korner, but I did not have these two. I have been wanting to make myself some mitts before the Feast; if I get the quiet book and the tee shirt quilt done, I may give them a try.
Speaking of the quiet book, I am making good progress on it. Here's a sneak peek from yesterday's work:
Wow, how incredible nice of that retiring Sewing Circle/Feast member to give you all first crack at her sewing stash and supplies.
ReplyDeleteAll those supplies are going to members who
1.) will absolutely be able to use them and
2.) can truly appreciate the value and generosity.
You are right on both counts!
DeleteWhat a lovely working space: Those Moravian-type stars really warm things up. And I was just going through my own sewing supplies, thinking of a sewing-supply charity in town. What kind people.
ReplyDelete