Friday, November 6, 2020

The Perfect First Horse

Tim has been traveling again and so I am in charge of the barn. While I don't want to live with my horses any more, I do enjoy short spans of time when they are totally under my care.

Hokey and Trouble at the gate waiting for me to come over and say hello.
I always check the water when I am out at the barn, but when Tim is gone, I also walk through the new barn to make sure lights are out, doors are closed, and that things are secure.

This time, I checked the blue barn, too, as Diablo was now over in that pasture. 
A few weeks ago, a family came out to look at Scarlet, the horse being boarded in that barn and who was for sale. The family had two horsey daughters that were taking riding lessons and were looking to lease their first horse. Their trainer was with them and together they decided that Scarlet was not the horse for them. (Scarlet was sold and left a few days later.)
Diablo, on the other hand, was perfect. She and the two girls really clicked, and the family came out several times to visit her. Long story short, they asked Tim if they could lease her. He agreed, and Diablo moved over to the blue barn and its pasture November 1.

Since the family was brand new to horses, I have been checking Diablo, too, during Tim's absence. Last night I texted Tim my daily report and did I get a surprise. 


Wait... Diablo had been sold? I felt a big wave of sadness that she had new owners.

But then, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a good thing for Diablo and for that family. She's in her twenties so she is an older mare and pretty bomb proof. She's smaller and she is very gentle. Since she is half Tennessee Walker, Diablo gaits and is easy to ride. 

She's actually the perfect first horse for two horse crazy girls. And just think of all the attention she will be getting! I can picture those two girls putting bows in her mane and tail, brushing her until she shines, and bringing her daily carrots. Hopping up bareback and hacking around the pasture with just a halter and lead rope. And so much more. 
Me riding my first horse, Amy, bareback and with just a halter and lead rope, and Leslie on her first horse, Pokey. 

That mare is going to have a great life in her twilight years and the girls have made a wonderful choice for their first horse.

Lucky Diablo, and lucky little girls. 


1 comment:

  1. It is like you to put so positive a spin on this. Diablo was your first too,... first to ride in a very long time. That should count!

    ReplyDelete