Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Surprise Gift from a Student

I have a girl in my class with some significant struggles going on in her life. She has broken down in tears a few times when talking to me, and I have been trying to help her as much as I can, although the issues are at home and all I can do is try to make the hours she is at school safe and secure ones, and hope that she feels loved and cared for while in my room.

She had a pretty tough break down last week, and she finally, finally let me give her a hug. That sort of opened the gates, and now she will allow me to hug her at the end of the day when she is leaving -  something she would not allow prior to that.

Today, she shyly approached my desk and gave a gift to me that she'd made over the weekend.
A horse with flowers (and maybe roller skates, too!!) and the letter "I" for my last name.

To say I was touched would be an understatement. And I am delighted for the breakthrough that it represents - I hope that she will continue to let me help her with her struggles while she is with me at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment